This is the Antonelli Law blog dedicated to copyright infringement cases and updates. We’ve represented nearly 2,000 clients across the US and are America’s most experienced BT copyright defense firm. For more information about your Malibu Media lawsuit, visit our Malibu Media page.
Malibu Media has filed hundreds of copyright infringement lawsuits so far this year.
In May 2018, Malibu Media filed new lawsuits in eight states.
They break down as follows:
- Connecticut: 13 new cases
- Illinois: 15 new cases
- Virginia: 11 new cases
- Pennsylvania: 7 new cases
- Michigan: 15 new cases
- Texas: 17 new cases
- Washington: 3 new cases
- New York: 11 new cases
Who is Malibu Media and Why Are They Suing Me?
Malibu Media is a Los Angeles based company that produces pornographic films through a monthly paid subscription model at x-art.com. They have filed thousands of lawsuits alleging defendants illegally downloaded their content using BitTorrent software.
Malibu Media is one of the largest filers of these copyright infringement lawsuits, filing more than 350 new copyright infringement cases in March, April and May 2018. Copyright infringement lawsuits are increasing, and it’s certainly not just Malibu Media- there were 29% more copyright infringement lawsuits filed in May 2018 vs. May 2017.
Your Malibu Media Lawsuit: Next Steps
First and foremost:
- Don’t sign anything
- Don’t try to delete or destroy anything – this could make penalties worse
- Decide how you want to handle it
Your choices in dealing with your Malibu Media lawsuit:
- Settle anonymously: You can agree on a financial settlement before your internet service provider (i.e. Comcast, Verizon, etc.) releases your name. If you settle through an experienced law firm like Antonelli Law, you will have the ability to make payment anonymously, and you will also be protected from Malibu Media trying to obtain more money in the future for any supposed download activity that happened prior to the settlement date.
- Filing a motion to quash: This can be the right choice in certain circumstances. With a motion to quash you are trying to prove to the judge that the lawsuit against you has no merit. Antonelli Law has experience in filing motions to quash and can advise you on whether or not this is a prudent decision for your case.
- Fight it in court: You could potentially win the case and may get damages including legal fees. If this is the right choice for your circumstances, consider Antonelli Law. Our tenacious and experienced litigators are ready to fight back for you in any federal court across the country. Since this area of the law changes rapidly, we consistently follow the latest developments in both the law and the technology involved in these cases to better defend you. Our last complex trial involved computer firewalls, sophisticated commercial networks, and a Microsoft certified expert.
Contact us at 312-201-8310 to schedule a free, confidential consultation.
Find more information about these copyright infringement lawsuits on our Malibu Media page.